Saturday, November 27, 2010

November 27 showers

I'm excitedly awaiting the arrival of a friend from Juneau. I haven't seen Laurie since her wedding in Kodiak last December but we go way back. She helped with my kids when I went fishing in 1979. Then she became of valued crew on my boat. We both had baby girls in 1989 and lived together in the late nineties, both negotiating divorces. I recall 20 years ago at the home birth of Laurie's second daughter, Katie, I made matza ball soup with the Thanksgiving turkey leftovers so I am doing the same today after absconding with the turkey carcase from Steve and Terri's.
While the carcase simmers, I bike to the P.O. Dressing for the rain in gore-tex pants, raincoat, and waterproof gloves, I don't let the 41 degree temperature discourage me and am rewarded as I peddle home and sunbeams light up a distant Cape Blanco and snow patches sparkle from the hilltop meadows on Humbug and the coast range.
Cape Blanco is the western most point in the continental U.S.
Andrew Barron's snow in the cryptemeria

After a snow day, which melted as the flakes hit the ground, Thanksgiving was sunny and pleasant. I used the hydraulic splitter on a cord of fir to justify eating a huge meal.
I can live without a man and a boat. I can't  live without hydraulics.
Thanks Andrew! He took much better photos than me on Thanksgiving.
Terri sat 27 of us for Thanksgiving. We stuffed ourselves then played Taboo and Gestures.
Yesterday I put the last coat of finish on my drawers and replaced the handles. They look great! I feel like the house is finally finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment