Monday, February 14, 2011

Feb 14 changing patterns- the inevitability of the recurrence of winter rains

Needing to catch up.
Wild fennel--new growth

On Feb 3, with the new moon I planted arugala, bok choy, lettuce, spinach, peas, and mesclin. Juli gave me some swiss chard seeds and that got planted on the 6th. The soil in the raised beds has warmed in the month of sunny weather so I planted in the uncovered bed and everything has since germinated.
I started some broccoli and brussel sprouts in the covered area hoping I have better results with starts than the last couple of years. Its been difficult to increase the nutrient level in this sandy soil. It seems that the winter rains leach the nutrients like running water through a sieve. So the covers on the beds should serve to keep the ground warmer and more nutritious. The covers are purposely built with ventilation so as not to overheat the cool-weather plants that are my mainstay. Although today with the south wind gusting into the 40s, they are considerably over-ventilated.
crocus and lavender

hellebore


Forget-me-knots and primrose

Geranium and tea-tree
I've been photographing February's flowers to keep a record of seasonal growth.



Took a walk south of town on Saturday morning. There, near town and the beach rentals and hotels, driftwood construction projects abound.

No comments:

Post a Comment