Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year--new goals

young Myrtle sucker.
I've been trying to figure out a hiking biking long range goal. If I do 30 miles a week I can get to Boston (virtually) in about 100 weeks. It seems like a reasonable goal. I would like to complete it by September of next year but in the meantime, I have an excuse to log my hikes.
December 31 2011 will be day 1--Ed and I hiked 4 miles through myrtlewood groves on the south bank of the Rogue from Huntley park. I did a half mile of a mushroom loop after we got home.(4.5 miles)

Indian Sands
January 1st was sunny--50 degrees and calm. We drove south and hiked about a mile down and back from Indian Sands, off the coastal trail, south of Thomas Creek Bridge. Then we drove to Loeb Park on the Chetco--the northernmost Redwood grove.  We walked around the camping area looking for the trail then walked the river-view trail through doug fir, myrtlewood, oaks, maples, huckleberry and rhododendrons to a grove of giant redwoods. Fishermen floated in double-enders down the murky, rain-engorged Chetco river. (5.5 miles)

1 comment:

  1. Mary, first off, I love your main picture, and good for you for walking. So far, my exercise/walking has consisted of back and forth to the sheep pen to check for new baby lambs, so nothing to brag about.

    ReplyDelete