Thursday, December 16, 2010

Dec 16 two sunny days in a row!


and the forecast had predicted rain!
I drove to Coos Bay to get Locke on Monday night.
Tuesday, I started volunteering for a program of disabled kids riding.  One of the helpers built the barrel horse for the kids to practice on.

It was great to have the new lens-Canon 18-135 mm, get here, and after Andrew helped me get the old lens off, I was able to use it. Locke and I went to the North Jetty so I could try out the telephoto.
 Its nice for shooting into waves although I felt that it overexposed shots. the exposure, color details were more mushy than the old standard lens. Also, when Locke found a tiny, 1/2" crab, I could not focus on it at closer than about a foot.

The focus and light adjustment seems fairly nimble but I have some getting used to the lens! I love how the telephoto compresses the waves and makes a confused sea more realistic.


1 comment:

  1. Macro focus: I noticed that lens design swept through the range from 18-135. Some lenses' 'normal' position is in the middle (mine is near 35mm).

    On old film camera, the 'sensor' is 35mm film, and a corresponding 'normal' lens would be around 50mm. Since your dSLR has a smaller sensor, your 'normal' lens focal length scales about 1.54 (on you camera). So your 'normal' lens setting will be near 32mm (50/1.54). I wouldn't expect to be able to get much closer than a foot though. With that heavier lens, it is more prone to shake. You may have to change your bracing style. Steadiness will be more an issue at telephoto focal lengths beyond 35mm. Monopods are useful, as are 'string monopods':
    http://thedigitalstory.com/2010/03/string_monopods_-_ou.html

    Happy shooting!

    [Canon sensor: 22.7x15.1mm, film 35x24mm, ratios. 1.54x1.6]

    ReplyDelete