Friday, December 17, 2010

Dec 17 Sunny and cold

Female Anna's Hummingbird
Thirty seven degrees this morning. Brr.The wood stove had burned out over night but the rock work around it did its job. It was still sixty five degrees in the living room.
 Locke and I made the fourteen mile round trip up Euchre Creek yesterday. My favorite ride. Even though it was 11:30 AM when we left, there were still spots of frost up where the canyon narrows. The creek water was raging and washing through tree roots. We explored a myrtle-wood grove. Those trees really stand out now because the poplar, cottonwood, and alder have all dropped their leaves. Myrtle-wood gives the impression of being deciduous but it keeps its waxy, bay-leaf like leaves all winter. I showed Locke how they regenerate from the base with numerous succors after the main tree is cut.  I broke off a few leaves that we rubbed for their pungent bay smell. The smell lingered on my hands and in my nose for the rest of the ride



Alders
In the Myrtle-wood groove


Oxalis


The bike trail, unused logging road,  up Euchre creek

.

Euchre creek heading towards the ocean
Locke crossing Euchre creek


Returning home, hummingbirds were fighting over the feeder. They dive-bombed each other and buzzed by me faster than I could turn my head.
Male Anna

I tried but could never get two hummingbirds in the same telephoto frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment